Have a product you want to sell online? Want to start an online store, but don’t know where to start? Don’t worry because you will get the most complete guide on how to create an online store in this WooCommerce tutorial.
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is a free online store plugin from WordPress. With this plugin, you can create an online store without any coding skills.
WooCommerce allows you to easily manage your online store, from setting up product displays to managing payments.
It can be said that WooCommerce is one of the best e-commerce plugins. Its use on the WordPress platform makes the dream of owning your own online store even easier.
So, what are the advantages of WooCommerce and why should you use it? Read further explanations of the following WooCommerce tutorial.
Why Should You Use WooCommerce?
Here are the reasons why WooCommerce is the best plugin for your online store:
1. Trusted by Millions of Users
WooCommerce has been trusted to be an online store platform by more than 59 million users worldwide. This means that WooCommerce has become the online store platform for 28 percent of online stores globally. The quality is not in doubt. Because as many as 21 percent of online stores that use WooCommerce managed to get into the Top 1 Million Sites.
2. Compatible with WordPress
WooCommerce is a plugin developed by WordPress directly. So you can easily install WooCommerce on your WordPress website by simply installing the WooCommerce plugin just like installing any other plugin.
3. Guaranteed Security
All online stores must convince their customers that their online store is a safe place to make purchases.
If you use WooCommerce, you don’t have to worry about security. Because WooCommerce protects all transaction data that occurs in your online store from falling into the hands of third parties. So your customers can shop safely.
One of the main advantages of WooCommerce over other online store platforms is that it is free. Basically, WooCommerce provides its services for free to anyone. However, WooCommerce also provides some features that you will have to purchase if you want to use them.
5. Easy for Anyone to Use
WooCommerce proves that creating an online store is difficult is just a myth. With WooCommerce, you can easily build an online store, from creating product displays, managing product categories, adding promotions and discounts, to making payment options without the need to know any coding.
6. Provides Many Theme Options
The display is certainly an important thing for all online stores, right? Each type of online store has its own concept. The concept of an online shop for men’s clothing is certainly different from the concept of an online shop for women’s clothing.
Likewise, the concept of an online book store is definitely different from the concept of an online shop for electronic goods. No need to worry because WooCommerce provides a wide selection of themes, both free and paid.
How to Create a WooCommerce Store
Before starting the WooCommerce tutorial, make sure that you have WordPress already installed. If you don’t have WordPress installed, you can install WordPress by following the guide in the article on how to install WordPress.
Already have WordPress? You can get started right away following the WooCommerce tutorial below!
1. How to Install and Activate WooCommerce
As previously explained, WooCommerce is a plugin that can be easily installed via WordPress.
How to install WooCommerce is quite easy. Please login to your WordPress dashboard. Then, select the Plugin menu -> Add New. Type “ WooCommerce ” in the search field.
Next, select the WooCommerce plugin, and click Install Now. Then, Activate.
2. How to Setup WooCommerce
Once the installation and activation process is complete, you will see a notification from WooCommerce to run the Setup Wizard. Please select Yes Please.
Using the Setup Wizard is the easiest way to set up WooCommerce. However, if you missed the notification, you can go to WooCommerce > Help > Setup Wizard menu.
Step 2.1. Store Address Settings
The first step, WooCommerce will ask you to fill in the detailed information of the online store.
The required information is
- Address Line 1 . The main address of your online store.
- Address Line 2 . The alternative address of your online store.
- Country/Region . Select the country of Indonesia.
- City . Select the city where your online store is located.
- Postcode . Fill in the postal code number of your online shop address.
Step 2.2. Setting Your Business Industry Type
The next step in the WooCommerce tutorial is to set up the industry type of your online store.
In this section, you can choose several industries according to the product you are selling. Just tick the following options:
- Fashion, Apparel, and Accessories
- Health and Beauty
- Art, music, and photography
- Electronics, and computers
- Food, and drink
- Home, furniture, and garden
For example, if you sell health drinks, you could check Food and Drink and Healthy and Beauty.
Step 2.3. Setting the Type of Product Sold
In this section, you are asked to determine what types of products you sell in the online store.
There are many types of products that you can choose from. You can use two types of products for free, namely Physical products (products that require shipping) and Downloads (digital products that can be directly downloaded).
Step 2.4. Business Detail Settings
In this step, you can fill in two pieces of information related to the business that you run.
First, how many products will you display in your online store? Second, do you sell the product elsewhere or only at the online store.
Step 2.5. Theme Selection
The final step in the WooCommerce setup wizard is to choose a theme for your online store.
There are several themes that you can use for free. To make sure that the theme used is suitable for your business, use the Live Preview mode.
Well, the WooCommerce setup is done! Next, you can enter the WooCommerce dashboard menu and take the next step, which is to add products to the online store.
3. How to Add Products
After successfully creating an online store, you need to add products before they are ready for consumers to visit.
The trick, from the WordPress dashboard page, please select the WooCommerce menu.
3.1. Adding New Products
To add a new product, you can select Add your first product. There are three options available: Add manually, Import, and Migrate.
Select Add manually as the easiest way to add products one by one. You will be automatically directed to the posting page to fill in the complete product information.
3.2. Filling out New Product Information
On the posting page to fill in product information, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Product name . Your product name.
- Product description . Full description of the product.
- Product types. Your product type (simple, grouped, affiliate, variable). In general, simple products are commonly used.
- Short description. A simple explanation of the product that will appear on the product page.
- Product images/gallery. Image of the product to be used.
- Product tags. Labels for products.
- Product categories. Product category.
Make sure you fill in the information above clearly. Specifically for Product types, you will be asked to fill in more complete information as follows:
- General . Information about general prices and product discount prices.
- Inventory . Item code and item status (available or out of stock)
- Shipping . Type of delivery of goods and determination of weight and dimensions of goods.
- Linked products . Choose a similar product to do up selling (sell a product with a price class above it)
- Attributes . Product attributes, such as color.
- Variations . Variations in the products sold, for example different sizes (S, M, L, XL).
- Advanced . Advanced settings that can be used to manage order orders, and more.
- Get More Options . Option to add other functionality using WooCommerce extensions.
You can also take advantage of WooCommerce shortcodes to make managing your store easier. You can see the WooCommerce shortcode guide here.
3.3. Publishing Products
After adding all the important product information, you can release the product by pressing the Publish button. Here’s an example of a product display that was successfully added to your online store’s product page.
4. Manage Products
All the products you have added will be listed on the WooCommerce product page. To manage it, you can go to the product page by selecting the WooCommerce -> Products menu.
On the product page, you can edit, delete, and duplicate products. The trick, hover over one of the products to be changed. You will see several menus: Edit, Quick Edit, Trash, View, and Duplicate.
For example, to duplicate a product. You just click Duplicate and you will find a product with the same description in the list. Make customizations as needed.
You can also connect with Instagram shopping to further increase sales.
5. Manage Orders
New orders are always created when your customers complete the checkout process.
You will get a notification on the order menu in your WooCommerce dashboard. And, you can see the information for the newly entered order.
When you click on the order, you will get the more complete information as follows:
Each order has a unique Order ID equipped with detailed information such as customer email, contact number, address, and payment method.
You can process the order, and make status changes in each process. Some of these statuses are:
- Processing . The order has been received and has been paid for, but is still being processed.
- Pending payments . The order has been placed but has not been paid for.
- On Hold . The order has been made, the customer has not confirmed the payment.
- Completed . The order has been processed and sent to the customer.
- Canceled . Orders are canceled, both by consumers and the system/
- Refunded . Order canceled and payment refunded.
- Filed . Order failed. It could be because the payment was not made immediately.
6. Adding Coupons
Coupons are one of the best ways to attract customers by providing special prices for the products being sold. WooCommerce allows easy coupon management.
To add a coupon, you can go to WooCommerce -> Coupons menu.
Then, you can add a coupon by selecting the Create your first coupon menu. Don’t forget to fill in the detailed information about the coupons that will be distributed. Starting from the validity period of the coupon, the maximum use of the coupon, to products that get a discount from the coupon.
7. Managing Consumers
WooCommerce provides a Customers menu that allows you to easily manage your customers.
When a consumer purchases a product, the consumer data will be directly recorded on the Customers page. You can also use a business strategy that to buy goods you must first log in.
Thus, you will have complete consumer data. This data is useful for knowing consumer habits and can be used for more targeted product promotion efforts.
8. Manage Reports
How many product sales did you make? How much stock do you have left? No need to worry, WooCommerce provides reports for every transaction in your online store.
To access it, you can go to WooCommerce -> Reports menu.
There are three main report menus: Orders, Consumers, and Stock Items. In each of these menus, you can get more specific reports. For example, sales reports by date, product, category, and coupon used.
Not only that, you can even easily download the report in CSV format to print as a business document.
9. Configure Settings in WooCommerce
Despite being a free plugin, WooCommerce is full-featured with easy configuration of settings. Most of the settings you can leave in the default state.
What are the settings in WooCommerce?
- General. In this menu, you can change settings such as the location of delivery of goods, the applicable currency, to the application of taxes.
- Products. The product menu allows you to change settings regarding product information, from product weight, product dimensions, to product reviews. You can also specify the name of your online store’s product storefront page.
- Shipping. You can set the delivery location, delivery method, to the estimated shipping cost. The settings in this menu are important for those of you who sell products with a wide scope, both nationally and internationally.
- Payments. As the name implies, you can set the payment method for the sale of your products. The methods provided are by bank transfer, check, cash, and using PayPal.
- Accounts & Privacy. In this menu, you can change account settings, from the terms of account creation, to guest checkout. In addition, you can set consumer privacy conditions including deletion of data on request.
- Emails. In this setting, you can set any email that needs to be sent to customers, from a welcome email, a new order email, a failed order email, to a reminder email to pay bills.
- integration . This is an additional menu for geolocation settings.
- Advanced . In this menu, you can perform advanced settings to define product page setup and endpoints for product shopping checkouts.
10. Checking Online Store Status
Want to make sure your online store is running well? You can check the current status. To do this, please go to the WooCommerce menu -> Status.
On the status page, you will see various system statuses, from WordPress, server, database to security.
If a problem occurs, you can simply click on Get system report, and use that information to report it to the WooCommerce support service.
11. Changing the WooCommerce Theme
Your online store still doesn’t look the way you want it to? Don’t worry, you can easily change the WooCommerce theme to change the appearance of the online store.
The trick, you can go to the WordPress dashboard, then click Appearance -> Themes -> Add New. Next, select the theme you want from the list available in the WordPress Theme Directory.
Then, just click on Install and Activate.
12. Installing the WooCommerce Plugin
Not only themes, but WooCommerce also provides plugins to add features to your online store. Both are free and paid.
What is a plugin? How they work in WordPress
These additional features make it easier for customers to shop at your online store. Installing the WooCommerce plugin is also very easy. The trick, from the WordPress dashboard, select Plugin -> Add New.
As with themes, after finding the desired plugin, click Install and Activate.
Here are some useful extensions you need to install:
a. WooCommerce Currency Switcher
You must install this extension if your online store sells products to different countries. WooCommerce Currency Switcher makes it easy for customers to change the currency that will be used to pay for their products.
Add a PayPal extension to make it easier for customers to pay your online store bills with PayPal’s online payment solution.
c. Multilingual WooCommerce
If you serve customers from different countries, you need to add a multilingual WooCommerce extension to make it easier for you to display your online store in multiple languages.
d. WooCommerce Product Filter
As the name suggests, WooCommerce Product Filter allows you to filter products based on certain criteria like price, size, category, and more.
e. WooCommerce Menu Cart
With the WooCommerce Menu Cart, you can display a customer’s shopping cart on every page so that customers can see what items they have added to their shopping cart.
f. YITH WooCommerce Wishlist
The YITH WooCommerce Wishlist extension allows you to add Wishlist features to your online store. That way, customers can save the items they want to buy before adding them to the shopping cart. In addition, customers can also share their wishlist on social media.
Pushover is an extension that helps you to provide the latest updates about your online store, be it new orders, inventory, sales, and more.
h. FraudLabs Pro for WooCommerce
Security is a major issue for all online stores. With FraudLabs Pro, you can add security features to avoid fraud in your online store. This plugin protects you from fraudulent orders by identifying elements such as location, proxy, email, credit card, and more.
Creating an online store is not as difficult as you might think. With platforms like WordPress and WooCommerce, anyone can easily create a professional online store, without any coding knowledge.
By following the WooCommerce tutorial above, you are guaranteed to be able to start your online store. So are you ready to create an online store? Achieve your online success with Xanderblog!