If you are using iOS and accidentally deleted all the messages or just reset the software, and are looking for a way to recover messages on your iPhone. Then in this article, Hawk will guide you on how to get back deleted messages on your iPhone.
1. Recover Messages on iPhone from iCloud
The simplest way is to use an iCloud backup, which means resetting the device to factory settings and using iCloud to re-sync old data.
If you regularly back up your iPhone, then the messages that were saved before the time of deletion will be restored.
- Do open the Settings app.
- At the top, click Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes, and App Store.
- Click on iCloud.
- Scroll down and tap iCloud Backup.
- The next step is to check if your last backup was before or after you deleted the message you want to restore. If the iCloud backup is available before the time the message was deleted, you can completely get the message back. At this point, you just need to reset your iPhone and restore it with a backup before you accidentally deleted the text.
To restore iPhone to factory settings, perform the following steps:
- Open Settings » General app
- Click Reset » Erase All Content and Settings.
- In the confirmation window that pops up, click the second option: Erase Now. It is important that you absolutely do not select Backup Then Erase, otherwise, you will lose all previous backups and cannot recover deleted text messages.
Note: Most previous settings on your phone will be safe when you restore your iCloud backup, but you may have to sign back in from the beginning of your app as you did when you first installed it.
Once your iPhone restarts and the setup process begins, restore messages from the iCloud backup by:
- Open Settings » Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes and App Store » iCloud.
- Click Manage Storage » Backups. Under Documents and Data, you’ll see a list of all available backups on each of the devices connected to your iCloud account.
2. Restore Messages from iTunes or Finder Backup
If you don’t want to rely on iCloud backups or don’t have enough storage space, you can back up data from your iPhone to your PC or Mac using iTunes (Finder for macOS Catalina versions or later).
Step 1: Connect iPhone to iTunes
Connect iPhone to a computer with iTunes or Mac installed, after a successful connection, click the iPhone icon to restore.
Step 2: Restore messages
You choose Backups » Restore Backup
After clicking there will be a list of times your device n has backed up on iTunes.
You find the date before deleting the message and press the Restore button to restore the message.
If using a Mac running Catalina operating system or later, open the Finder software and do the same as above.
3. Using third-party apps
The final method to get back deleted text messages on iPhone is to use a third-party app. Currently, there are quite a few third-party software tools that promise to help you recover deleted data on your iPhone quickly and efficiently, including text messages.
PhoneRescue is a data recovery tool for Windows devices. The software developed by iMobie Inc works to get back lost data from both Android and iOS devices. All you need to do is connect your device to the Windows desktop and launch the application.
This software not only identifies and recovers lost data but is also capable of fixing system problems that tend to arise after the recovery process.
- Simple, intuitive interface.
- Apply the latest technology to quickly scan your phone, show a preview of lost data and recover all the files you want.
- Supports recovery of up to 31 file types: Photos, call logs, messages, contacts, etc.
- Compatible with a wide range of mobile devices, even data that has not been backed up correctly can be retrieved.
- Does not contain malware, and does not exploit user information.
- The price is quite high.
PhoneRescue currently offers a free trial version that allows users to scan and preview lost files on their phones. However, if you want to recover data, you will have to purchase a license to use the full features.
- 1-year license : $49.99/computer/year.
- Lifetime license : $59.99/computer.
- 1-year organization license: $299/10 computers/year.
Wondershare Dr. Fone is a smartphone data recovery tool designed for Windows and macOS operating systems. With the help of this software, you can get back any lost pictures, videos, documents, contacts, messages, and call logs from your iOS device. Besides, WonderShare also provides some other useful features such as: Remotely unlocking the phone, backing up data, fixing system errors, and recording screens.
WonderShare is a great choice for those who have lost call logs, contact details, messages, or important media files. For people who use multiple devices, it acts as a handy tool capable of backing up and converting data quickly. The tool is also perfect for anyone running low on space on an iOS device, allowing you to remove pre-installed software and back up files easily in another location.
- Simple interface, easy to use.
- Recover up to 18 different file types from any supported iOS device: Messages, attachments, contacts, videos, pictures, etc.
- Provide 3 recovery modes: Restore directly from iOS device, restore backup mode on iTunes, and restore data from iCloud.
- Provides many additional features:
+ Transfer files from one device to another quickly and easily.
+ Repair feature helps fix system errors so you can continue using your device without a factory reset.
+ Unlock phone without passcode or iTunes access.
- It does not support restoring all files, only those files selected by the user.
Wondershare offers a free trial version for 7 days. After this time, users must register for the full toolkit to continue using:
- Android Toolkit: 79.95 USD/year
- iOS Toolkit: 99.95 USD/year
- Toolkit for both Android and iOS: $139.95/year
In addition to purchasing the full set of tools, users can register to use each feature individually, tailored to their needs.
Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery is a data recovery software that helps users easily recover all deleted or lost data directly from iPhone.
In addition, Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery also allows users to extract and restore data from iTunes or iCloud backup files. This is a particularly useful feature in case you need to recover your data on a new iPhone when unfortunately the old iOS device is damaged or lost.
- A friendly interface does not require too high knowledge of technology to use.
- Support to recover more than 35 file types (Call logs, SMS, even application data like Instagram, Viber, …).
- Fast scanning and data extraction speed.
- Support data recovery even if the phone is lost.
- Relatively high cost.
Tenorshare offers 3 paid service packages:
- Monthly plan: 45.95 USD/month (up to 5 mobile devices, 1 PC).
- Annual plan: $49.95/year (up to 5 mobile devices, 1 PC).
- Lifetime plan: $59.95 (up to 5 mobile devices, 1 PC).
4. Contact your service provider for assistance
In some cases, you can recover deleted text messages by contacting your mobile service provider directly. The service provider you subscribe to may also keep a record of the text messages you send. If you accidentally delete important messages, you can call your service provider to get the backup back as soon as possible.
- This method will only work for SMS text messages, not iMessage conversations, as they are end-to-end encrypted and service providers do not store these messages.
- Another important note is that service providers only keep records of SMS messages for a limited period of time. Therefore, they will not be able to assist you in recovering messages from 1 year ago or longer.
Above are 4 quick and simple methods to help you recover deleted text messages on your iPhone. Hopefully, with these suggestions, you will find the most effective and suitable solution for your needs.